Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Chewy Cosmic Goodness: Annihilation - Conquest

I fully admit it, I've been sucked in by the type of story that my brain and heart just love: the cosmic adventure story. And, yes, it has been created by Marvel Comics.

This is classic world building folks, and a beautiful build-up in the prologue issue to show me just where everyone stands. And we do get pretty much what appears to be the most interesting versions of Starlord and Nova and Quasar and, especially, Moondragon. She hasn't looked this interesting since the Jim Starlin origin piece from Daredevil #105 (not her wretched Madame McEvil intro from Iron Man for those still checking).

I've never understood why comics don't do this more often. Comic books are so good at this type of story, we can bridge worlds so effortlessly from panel to panel, that good sci fi is just a joy to behold. Its what Green lantern has never had the guts to really do: Go deep out into space and give us the full opera.

Welcome to the Jim Starlin Universe many years later: the man who took the cosmic genre into a deep noir place must be happy to see material following in his footsteps. Quasar follows the Captain Mar-Vells, Star Lord returns, the Spaceknights return, we have cosmic awareness, a quest in the heart of sequestered Kree space, and we all know that its going to get worse before it gets better.

Some people hate this type of story, and find it totally divorced from anything real: i.e. there is no Spider-Man hitting the malt shops before swinging off, nothing that they can relate to. And to this i say, who cares? This is pue imagination, pure space and cyborgs and force fields and kree frikkin' sentrys and quantum bands and we are out in fucking space trying to save everything. If we can't enjoy the sheer thrill of taking our adventure as deep into the unknown as we can, then we're better off picking up a new issue of the spider man clone saga and wrapping ourselves deeper into the confines of the Spider-man dune buggy. You want to talk sense of wonder? Well here it is. Welcome to Kree space. Hope that you live to tell about it. After all, it ain't over til the fat skrull sings. I'm all over this series til it either ends or they screw it up too much. I just hope, the little 9 year old that still dreams of flying through space, that they don't. You got Bug, Captain Universe, Groot and the Celestial Madonna on the way? I'm so in.

And, for the record, I always knew that Moondragon was gay. I'm just glad that they can show it these days.

4 comments:

James Meeley said...

Comic books are so good at this type of story, we can bridge worlds so effortlessly from panel to panel, that good sci fi is just a joy to behold. Its what Green lantern has never had the guts to really do: Go deep out into space and give us the full opera.

Charles:

I take it you haven't been reading the new Green Lantern Corps series. Because, it DOES do this. We get the full opera of alien life and the danger that lurks outside our own little home is space.

If you truly enjoyed this book as much as you say and you haven't given Green Lantern Corps a try, I'd strongly advice you to do so. By focusing on the fact that there are more GLs than the one guarding Earth and its space sector, we are getting exactly the kind of story you say comics should be doing more of.

Just thought you might like to know.

Michael Nicolai said...

I was going to say the same thing! Green Lantern Corps is the GL book I always wanted DC to make, and the Sinestro Corps storyline is off to a great start.

Anonymous said...

Well for the most part, yes, the Green Lantern corps. Is one of the few "cosmic adventures" DC comics has ever offered, though, this arena is pretty much Marvel's domain.

On a different note --I find it odd we both spell our last name the same way --interesting. I stumbled upon this blog by mistake as I am an aspiring comic artist myself. A personal question --Do the words "Pisgah Grande" have any significance to you?

inkdestroyedmybrush said...

james and michael - no, i've not given the GL corps a look, but I will, so thanks for the recommendation. Its impossible to keep track of everything, and I hate when good stuff sneaks by. I have seen the house ads for it, in the wonder woman book, but never thought to pick it up. Still traumatized by the old Joe Staton GL series.

Peter - I think that only a few yoakums spell the name our way, and i believe that it all ties back a family in from the Yoakum, Texas area, but my personal family drops off of the map at my dad's father, so its all lost in the past. The "Pisgah Grande" means nothing to me I'm afraid.