Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Original Cover Art: X-Men #137 by Byrne and Austin

20th Century Danny Boy ferreted this one out: a great scan of the original art for this classic cover. I'm putting this up for one reason: its amazing to see. As a professional inker, I have to admire Austin's linework up close and personal as much as I can.

Enjoy. This was part of a run of issues that was as good and classic as anything ever in superhero comics.

More discussion of recreations and "grails" and original art to come.

2 comments:

Daniel Best said...

Hi Charles, I can find more such scans if you want to see 'em. Those old Fantagraphics books have some doozys in them. In fact, I might just scan 'em anyway.

inkdestroyedmybrush said...

as a matter of historical record, this stuff should be scanned.

How awful is it that one of the great covers of the later marvel age is destroyed by that stupid yellow banner at the top ot the page? AAArrrgggg!