Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Batgirl by Timm and Yoakum

Bruce Timm. Love his stuff.

Was given a couple of his pieces to ink over for commission. Had no idea how hard it would be to get something that i liked.

How about 5 tries?

I ended up doing this Batgirl 5 times before i was happy with the result. The commissioner of the piece has been extremely patient what i fiddled with them to my satisfaction, and had to delay finishing the work while i took on the Gulacy job.

And then I came back to them and hated them again. So I redid this piece, and the JLA piece that i'll post tomorrow, again.

So what was the problem? Well, Timm's stuff has its own cartoony logic to it, and if you don't nail the line thickness right off the bat, then you're basically dead in the water. There are no little rendering line that might take you eye away from the holding line, nothing to distract you. And maybe i'm being overly picky with my work, and no one else would have had a problem with them, but i did, and since there is no deadline on these, i continued to work them again and again.

And now i need to get them out of my studio before i start to harsh on them again.

BTW - saw some of Rain's colors for Timebomb over my inks and was totally blown away. TIMEBOMB will likley be the best looking book color and production wise that i've ever been involved with and I'm really psyched to see how it all looks in print.

4 comments:

Saranga said...

I think it looks really good and you should be proud of it. I'm looking forward to seeing the JLA piece!

Kidsis said...

Geez you're too hard on yourself. I better the other ones looked awesome too!

Kidsis said...

*Bet* I bet.

Sigh.

inkdestroyedmybrush said...

@kid sis - but you know me, its got to look good or why bother? and timm is hard to get. You know why no one imitates Toth?

Cause you can't.

Timm is similar in that.