Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Quick Hits: Rai and Bloodshot

Another Valiant piece that I did as a commission.

I love the double figure composition and some of the interesting angles that come out of that. I stole the idea of the circuit board design on the back shamelessly from a Captain America piece that was reproduced at postage stamp size in Steranko's History of Comics. It worked so well with the concept of Rai's floating Japanese nation that I simply had to use it. I also like the idea of Bloodshot, who is usually presented as a gun-happy maniac, presented in a more relaxed, if wary, state.

Inked this up to work well in black and white, using the tight crosshatching that gave me a good greytone on Rai's body and face. Tough to do if you're not having a good day with the brush. They actually used to have a zipatone for that, so you could literally get away with murder and not have to do any of the rendering yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Shame on me for not checking out your blog more regularly, but I'm glad I did. The Darque piece is pretty darned exquisite, but this is a dynastic piece. Wow, again.

inkdestroyedmybrush said...

thanks! given your screen name, I'm willing to bet that it might be up your alley. I'm still available to do commissions if you ever want one!