Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Where to Sell Your Work & Why and the Mystery of Scott Pilgrim

Now heres a quote for ya, so good it got picked up to be the lead on Journalista today:
The fundamental takeaway was that comics retailers want publishers to drive people into comic stores. And it’s a worthwhile goal, but at the same time, it’s very much a chicken and egg thing. If I, hypothetically, as a small publisher work to build my own audience on the internet (because that’s the easiest place to do so), then what’s the impetus for me to point people anywhere but my website to buy my books?

Marvel and DC and the larger publishers all have a heavy investment in the direct market. They’ve got a vested interest in keeping driving audiences into comic stores. But when independent publishers are met with resistance and pushback and questions about audience in the direct market, there’s suddenly a dis-incentive to start with the DM.

Well, my ready answer would be that I don't want to lose ANY places, whether DM reliant or non-DM reliant, to sell my work. I want to be seen everywhere, not just some places. You never know whose eyeballs are going to latch onto your work.

Yes, the delight is that we can now interact one on one in a way with our fans that would have been impossible only 8 or 9 years ago, and that alone is worth the monthly fees to AT&T, but that it can lead to a source of revenue is the next great step. (Print on Demand is the next interesting part of the equation for the started, as it sidesteps the economy of scale that basically kept the loner out of the playing field.)

Now why we had to bring the Celestial Madonna into this I don't know, but, yes, there are some lines you shouldn't cross.

And I'll ask the question that will get me flamed: What is the big deal with Scott Pilgrim? Brandon Lee O'Malley leaves me cold. Its not bad, but I don't thinks its clever new or all that interesting. Someone please explain it to me.

5 comments:

Brian Fies said...

The list of "Things I Don't Get" in comics today grows so long I hardly notice when a new one gets added. I haven't seen a lot of Scott Pilgrim, so am reluctant to comment; all I can say is that the little I've seen didn't entice me to see more.

In general (not targeting Scott Pilgrim in particular), a lot of hot, popular work that "the kids are into these days" strikes me as pale imitation and retread of superior earlier stuff. I think the problem--if it is a problem--is a lack of historical awareness among many readers. They think stuff is amazing and original because they just don't know it was done better 10, 20, or even 50 or 100 years ago.

As I hint, although it bugs me, I'm not sure it's really a problem. I might wish that all comics readers would be familiar with Wally Wood and Jack Cole and Winsor McCay and Walt Kelly, but there's no entrance exam. Creators are creating, readers are being entertained. That's what it's about. The worst I can really bring myself to say about something is, "It's not for me." If others get something from it, good for them. Get out of the way, grandpa!

Brian Fies said...

I meant to add: I appreciated the Celestial Madonna name check.

inkdestroyedmybrush said...

very true, there is no entrance exam, and i have no problem with someone enjoying a modern take on Sally Forth or Little Nemo even. Heck, let them enjoy what they want, especially when there is a generational gap. There should be product taht 8 year olds can enjoy that is different for what us cranky old men enjoy.

I was just hoping that someone might have a different spin on Scott Pilgrim that might make me see it in a different light...

Brian Fies said...

Wish I could help . . .

Unknown said...

Good idea!!! I like the way the you've been doing it on your blog.
--
Jenifer
Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved