Monday, August 14, 2006

Creative process: part 1

I have a million thoughts on the creative process (or what some people, after viewing artists would say, "what process?") that I want to put out there for comments on, but right now I'm in the middle of a bunch of things that I put into motion around the San diego convention.

Write it down, it will come, as a book title says.

I believe it, but that requires committing to doing things, and telling people and involving them, something that I'm finally trying to take onto the brunt of my shoulders.

i'm working on character sketches for a story to pitch, and finding it interesting and difficult when its someone else's story, so its not something that I've been living with in my head for a while. Just like i'm working on the characters of something that I've been struggling with for a few years now, but since its my story, its that much easier to get the visuals in my head.

i think that the biggest cheat is those "portfolio pages" that run in the backs of Back Issue or Write Now! or Comic Book Artist since they make the process look too damn easy. They print the best stuff and ignore the stupid drawings that didn't work out or got erased too many times and make the rest of us seem like idiots for not being brilliant and perfect from the word go on every single damn drawing we do. Screw that. It's not real.

No comments: