Monday, August 28, 2006

a real page turner....

you can see the newest pics from Pistoleras at the pistoleras movie site that I mentioned earlier, but I'm in the middle of laying out the book in thumbnail form and its both exciting and completely nerve-wracking at the same time.

Exciting to see Lis' script play out in pictoral form, to imagine different scenes in my head and play with the camera angles to catch the best possible panel. Nerve-wracking because I have a million different camera angles to work my way though in my head, a million different tricks to make the panels tell the story on more than one level, to convey some of the foreshadowing for the later incidents in the story, to find non-verbal ways to get across the characters "tics" using body language.

Aaaaarrgggg.

The cats are asleep on the chairs across from me, my wife has gone to bed and my brain if going into overdrive when it needs to be settling down so that I can get a proper night's sleep before getting my oldest daughter to school tomorrow morning. Me? I'm deep into spaghetti western land, imaging the southern Sierra Nevada range rising up above the heroine's heads, heat shimmering off of the pitted black top roadway making the ground level of the desert vanish occasionally in a light-bent mirage and I'm trying to my best to imagine this story without the soundtrack that it so richly deserves, and I think that I'm jealous of the moviemakers who can make one scene work so perfectly that I cannot: the simple intoduction by the girls in the front seat of a CD into the car's deck and we have the sound of the road trip. Doesn't matter who it is: X, Chili Peppers, The Killers, Arctic Monkey, Jane's Addiction, early INXS, its the sound that you'll hear in your head for the rest of your life if you have the right soundtrack to a road trip.

Jealous. 'Cause you can't pull that off in a comic book.

No comments: